[Haskell-cafe] haskell-src-exts maintenance

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:37:19 UTC 2015

Peter,

Please can you do the release. I completed the work updating HSE
several months ago, a much better version of HSE has been waiting on
the master branch since then. I thank you for providing helpful review
for the patches I submitted but since then I have sent three emails
asking about the release. After the second you promised to do a
release at the end of October but that never happened.

It is a shame that the user's of HSE have had to live with many long
standing bugs when they have been fixed for months.

If you can not do it for whatever reason then please can you add me as
a maintainer on hackage and the github repo so that users can get an
updated version of HSE.

Best wishes,

Matt

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Peter A Jonsson
<jonsson.peter.a at gmail.com> wrote:
> I’m not even going to bother to CC haskell-cafe since that will just bounce or go into a black hole.
>
> I exchanged a couple of mails with David (Lemmih) and my impression was that he was going to act upon some things but I didn’t follow up on that so there was probably some miscommunication between the two of us.
>
> I’ve merged some things and reviewed some patches. I agree with Neil that stable things should be merged and the yearly release of HSE should be made. I don’t want to rush things out through the door at any cost though—I believe HSE’s users are better served by something that is a strict improvement and contains more features than the last release compared to something that has even more features but is a bit shaky and requires a new major version of HSE in just a month or two which would force the client code to be re-tested and re-released.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Peter
>
>> On 28 Jul 2015, at 17:49, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As a very heavy HSE user (HLint and Hoogle), who has had a reasonably
>> close working relationship with all of Niklas (my SoC mentor and my
>> SoC mentee), Roman and Peter (a fellow supercompiler developer) and
>> Matt (currently hacking on HLint), I thought I should weigh in.
>>
>> The current state of HSE is a little forlorn - there are 22 open pull
>> requests, everything from reducing algorithm complexity (an accidental
>> n^3), fixing the default encoding (should be UTF8) and lots of actual
>> parser fixes. A lot of this is good stuff, and the high level of
>> external contributions is a really good sign. But they need to be
>> merged and reviewed, and it seems the bandwidth just isn't there at
>> the moment. Given Matt's comments on the existing tickets, and the
>> triage he's already performing on the repo, I have high hopes that
>> Matt could provide a bit more of the time and attention. Peter,
>> perhaps a co-maintainer would be good for a little while?
>>
>>> If it's not soon then please could you add myself and Christian to the
>>> maintainers so that we can perform some short term maintenance.  My
>>> immediate plan of action would be
>>>
>>> 1. Immediately cut a 1.17 release from the master branch as it
>>> contains much better parsing of lifted constructors which are becoming
>>> more prevalent.
>>> 2. Review and merge recent pull requests.
>>> 3. Update the parser as far as possible with missing features.