[Haskell-cafe] Status of Acid-State and IxSet

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Fri May 29 08:37:10 UTC 2015

JP Moresmau <jpmoresmau at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, for a project I decided to use Acid-State and IxSet, and was pretty
> happy with them. I enjoyed working with Haskell structures for storing and
> querying data, and my data could fit in memory. However, now I've moved to
> GHC 7.10, and for example syb-with-class, a dependency of ixset, does not
> build with template-haskell 2.10. So I'm wondering, are these projects
> still alive and kicking? Are if I want some memory based storage and
> indexing, should I look at some other projects (maybe VCache
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/vcache). Or is it just bad timing and
> GHC 7.10 compatible versions of these libraries are in the works?

Indeed it seems like syb-with-class is a bit stagnant. For what it's worth
I've moved the source to a Git repository [1] along with fixes allowing
it to compile on GHC 7.10 (although with a slight loss of sharing which
may or may not be recovered by the optimizer).

sanzhiyan or Simon, do you think you could have a look at these changes
and push them to Hackage if you find them acceptable? I would also be
happy to take over maintenance if that is preferred.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/bgamari/syb-with-class