[Haskell-cafe] Increasing parallelism in a frequency counter

Andreas Pauley apauley at gmail.com
Sun May 24 21:07:12 UTC 2015

Hi Claude,

On 23 May 2015 at 17:12, Claude Heiland-Allen <claude at mathr.co.uk> wrote:

> Anyway, some general optimisation points, not all directly related to the
> parallel part of the problem:

Thank you so much for taking the time to implement your own version,
and to explain everything you did.
Your slowest sequential version is about 3 times faster than my
fastest parallel version, I'm really impressed :-)
Thank you also for the general coding tips, I'll definitely do some
cleanup with a defaultMain or similar.

I am busy looking at your implementation together with the
optimisation points you mentioned.
There is a lot for me to absorb, and I'll probably learn more from
comparing your code (and the thinking behind it) with mine than I
would have just reading a book or an article.

Is there a field in computer science similar to comparative
literature? Because I find comparing different implementations of the
same program very useful as a learning tool.

Kind regards,
Andreas

--
https://keybase.io/apauley