[Haskell-cafe] Threads and critical sections (threadWaitRead)

Lars Petersen info at lars-petersen.net
Fri May 22 11:55:41 UTC 2015

Hello cafe,

I'm currently trying to understand Haskell's threading model and GHC's
implementation of it. Specifically I wondered about the safety of file
IO. Consider this piece of code:

> newtype Socket = Socket (MVar Fd)
>
> read :: Socket -> IO ByteString
> read (Socket mfd) = do
>   fd <- readMVar mfd
>   -- (1)
>   threadWaitRead fd
>   -- (2)
>   withMVar mfd $ \fd'-> do
>     -- (3) the actual read...

Context:
  - The socket is configured non-blocking.
  - No other operation will hold the MVar over a blocking call (because
this would make it impossible to close it while it's blocking).
  - My close operation will fill the MVar with -1 after it's closed and
will hold the MVar during the close operation.

Questions:
  - Is it theoretically possible that my thread gets paused at (1) or
within threadWaitRead, another thread closes the socket (or even worse
opens another file with the same fd) _and_ my thread is resumed
afterwards (I'm not asking about async exceptions)?
  - What constructs contain safepoints and which are guaranteed to be
executed without interruption?

Considerations (so far):
  - It is unlikely that (1) is a safepoint as no memory allocations
occur, but is it guaranteed?
  - If the socket were closed during (1), threadWaitRead throws an
exception complaining about a bad file descriptor which is unexpected
but not harmful.
  - I found this thread
(https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2014-September/115841.html)
which is somewhat related, but I couldn't extract a clear answer from it.

Best,
  Lars