[Haskell-cafe] Naming convention for version branches (Package versioning)

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Tue May 19 17:02:32 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am currently writing a tool to automate the release and version bump of
cabal projects.

Currently you can call the tool by giving as argument the rank of the
branch you want to bump, for example given 0.0.0.0:

- `cabal-release 0` bump to `1`
- `cabal-release 1` bump to `0.1`
- `cabal-release 2` bump to `0.0.1`
- `cabal-release 3` bump to `0.0.0.1`

As we are not all robots (yet), I thought that in addition to this it would
be great if the user could give a human friendly name for the rank.

For now, here is what I have for the different rank:
0 == --major
1 == --major-fix
2 == --minor
3 == --minor-fix

I'm curious to know what you think of those names? any suggestions or known
established convention about that?

Thanks

--
*Λ\ois*