[Haskell-cafe] Abandoning String = [Char]?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue May 19 08:58:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 19.05.2015, 15:19 +1000 schrieb Clinton Mead:

> However GHC 7.10.1 compiles the list away, so the list version, stream
> version, and accumulating parameter recursive function version now all
> run in the same time.

glad to hear that (I believe I am partly responsible for that). But

> If GHC continues to learn to optimise away lists effectively, [Char]
> may not be a performance issue after all.

is too optimistic. [Char] will never be a good choice for efficient
string manipulation; the optimizations you mention only work in very
specific circumstances (at least: lists used exactly once, by a “good
consumer” and produced by a “good producer”).

The sufficiently smart compiler continues to be an utopia. (Which does
not stop us from working towards it.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--