[Haskell-cafe] FIXME pragma

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun May 17 17:24:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 17.05.2015, 18:42 +0200 schrieb Christopher Done:
> What's the feeling on having a FIXME pragma so that I can attach
> warnings to unfinished things?
>
> {-# FIXME foo "Reasons here." #-}
>

> I would use the WARNING pragma but that doesn't work within a module
> and only triggers on use. Compiler errors are the one thing I and
> everyone else pays attention to, it would be very handy to have more
> control over things GHC reports to the developer to aid development.

do you want GHC to print a warning here, or an error, or either
depending on your flags?

I thought there was a GHC trac ticket that asked for a more general
WARNING where you could specify the type of warning, and the warnings
could be ignored/displayed/made errors per group; then FIXME would just
be one such type. Unfortunately, I cannot find it – maybe it was just a
discussion elsewhere.

I believe people wanted to use it to warn about partial functions....
ah, that made me find it. See
https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2015-February/025044.html

Greetings,
Joachim