[Haskell-cafe] Multiway tree vs rose tree

Tara Athan taraathan at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:09:22 UTC 2015

Perhaps I need to clarify my remark. I am not in way suggesting that the
code in Data-Tree.html be changed. I am suggesting that the
documentation of the source and wiki pages be changed so that the
structure is referred to (correctly) as a multiway tree, but not
(incorrectly) as a rose tree.

As to naming of trees, every published paper I have found so far that
uses the term "rose tree" is consistent with the original definition
from Meerten, who is the one who coined the name in the first place, to
indicate a quite specialized tree that only has values at the tips, not
the nodes. It is only in Haskell-related literature that it is stated
that rose tree is the same as multiway tree. Since there is a perfectly
good name for multiway tree, I don't see why there would be any need to
have another name for it - why not let the name "rose tree" be used for
what it was originally intended.

BTW, I have a stake in this, as I am working on a case where I need (a
generalization of ) rose trees, not multiway trees, and I ran across
this different usage of "rose tree" during the literature search.

(Generalized) rose trees are interesting in their own right because they
are (or are isomorphic to, depending on your perspective) the free
monad. When the functor used to generate the free monad is List, then it
becomes a rose tree.

Tara