[Haskell-cafe] Multiway tree vs rose tree

Tara Athan taraathan at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:50:24 UTC 2015

Hi - I am new to this list, and the only archive I could find is the
Mailman archive, which is next to impossible to search. So this may be a
topic that has been previously discussed, I don't know...

The documentation at
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/containers-0.3.0.0/docs/Data-Tree.html
says that a rose tree is another name for multiway tree. But this is not
true according to my understanding of the accepted definition in the CS
literature (see e.g.
http://doc.utwente.nl/66626/1/db-utwente-0000003528.pdf)
Rose trees do not have labels at the nodes, only at the leaves (aka tips).

There is another page
https://wiki.haskell.org/Algebraic_data_type#Rose_tree that also uses
this divergent definition. To further propagate this problem, the
Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_tree uses these
Haskell wiki pages as the definitive source.

Tara