[Haskell-cafe] Is this functional reactive programming

Clinton Mead clintonmead at gmail.com
Mon May 11 00:36:43 UTC 2015

What I want to be able to do is something like this:

do
x <- newSTRef 2
y <- newSTRef 3
z <- letSTRef (x + y)
r1 <- readSTRef z
writeSTRef x 5
r2 <- readSTRef z
return (r1, r2)

This should return (6,15)

The "letSTRef" is what's new. The value it returns can change based on the
parts that make up it's function changing.

I understand this syntax above isn't going to work (I'd have to use
applicative at least I'd imagine) but my main question is that does
something like this exist? Is it functional reactive programming or is it
something else?

I don't want to be reinventing the wheel if this type of idea is already
implemented but I haven't recognised it.