[Haskell-cafe] release timing

Harry . voldermort at hotmail.com
Thu May 7 09:45:17 UTC 2015

Simon PJ wrote ...

> | It would be nice to see #8224 in as well, but doesn't look like that's
> | going to be fixed any time soon! Have GHC HQ ever considered asking
> | Intel if they'd be willing to lend a hand?
>
> What makes you think that Intel would help with #8224? (It's about the IO manager.)

The title is about the IO manager :-) The diagnosis ends with performance issues that appear tied to CPU design, something that Intel ought to know something about.

> Also, GHC is an open source project. You don't have to wait for GHC HQ to do anything --- please go ahead and ask anyone you think could help!

While it's not unheard of for a corporation to assist an open source project, particularly with issues specific to their products, the request would have a lot more credibility if it came from GHC HQ than a random GHC user. I also have no idea who in Intel should be contacted for such things.

But in the spirit of your suggestion I'm cross-posting this to haskell-cafe to reach a wider audience. Does anyone out there know of a contact in Intel who might be able/willing to help with CPU performance issues?