[Haskell-cafe] MVars and locks

Ryan Yates fryguybob at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:34:47 UTC 2015

When you are using an MVar as a lock, you will not want anyone to put
something into the MVar without already being the *one* taking from the
lock in the first place.  You can think of the value in the MVar as a token
indicating that you are in the critical section that no other thread can be
in unless they hold the token.