[Haskell-cafe] Significant changes in -Wall for GHC 7.10

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Tue May 5 16:25:17 UTC 2015

Hello Omari,

Just to double check, could you send us a program which fails
to produce warnings on 7.10, which does produce warnings on 7.8,
and the command line arguments to run it?
I tried the following test:

[ezyang at hs01 ghc-bisect]$ cat A.hs
module A where
-- f :: Bool -> Bool
-- f x = x && (\x -> x) x
g :: IO ()
g = do  (readLn :: IO Int)
        return ()
[ezyang at hs01 ghc-bisect]$ ghc -c A.hs -Wall -fforce-recomp

A.hs:5:9: Warning:
    A do-notation statement discarded a result of type ‘Int’
    Suppress this warning by saying ‘_ <- (readLn :: IO Int)’
    or by using the flag -fno-warn-unused-do-bind
[ezyang at hs01 ghc-bisect]$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.10.1

This is 7.10 that is distributed by Arch Linux.  I haven't
tried any other distributions, including the pre-built binaries.

Cheers,
Edward

Excerpts from Omari Norman's message of 2015-05-05 07:54:59 -0700: