[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Sun May 3 07:40:41 UTC 2015

On 30/04/2015 08:08, Jeremy wrote:
> Mathieu Boespflug-4 wrote
>> We're not introducing dependencies on dynamically linked system libraries
>> that makes tooling hard to distribute. We're not asking users to install
>> anything new that isn't already a staple of most developer desktops
> My sole concern with this is that git is often not present on build servers,
> which may be minimal cloud VMs. Here's what I get when I try to install git
> on mine:
>
> # apt install git --no-install-recommends
>    git git-man libcurl3-gnutls liberror-perl libexpat1 libgdbm3 perl
> perl-modules
> 0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> Need to get 10.4 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 57.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.

I'm no fan of unnecessary bloat, but considering that typical Debian
installation
of ghc is +500MB (7.4) to +800M (7.10) (severely bloated by multiple
almost copies
of the same file), I'm not sure how relevant this is on a haskell build
server.

Plus, many people already uses git on build servers making a zero cost
for most of us.

--
Vincent