[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun May 3 05:30:05 UTC 2015

There's actually a really easy solution to "have Git installed": bundle it
with MinGHC. Another alternative would be to use one of the many libraries
out there that can talk the Git wire protocols. In fact, if anyone is
worried about the standard Git tool not being secure enough (either due to
C code or some other reason), we could have a Haskell-based Git
implementation that focuses on security. There would still be big
advantages to using the Git protocol in that case, such as a well
understood protocol to work against and easy interop with existing tools.

That said, I think bundling the necessary Git tooling with MinGHC is an
easy win.