[Haskell-cafe] indexed writer monad

Nicholls, Mark nicholls.mark at vimn.com
Wed Mar 25 16:27:19 UTC 2015

Ok...

Well lets just take the indexed writer

So....for a writer we're going...

e.g.

(a,[c]) -> (a -> (b,[c])) -> (b,[c])

If I use the logging use case metaphor...
So I "log" a few Strings (probably)....and out pops a (t,[String])
?

(I've never actually used one!)

But what if I want to "log" different types...

I want to "log" a string, then an integer bla bla...

So I won't get the monoid [String]

I should get something like a nest 2 tuple.

do
log 1
log "a"
log 3
log "sdds"
return 23

I could get a
(Integer,(String,(Integer,(String,END))))

and then I could dereference this indexed monoid(?)...by splitting it into a head of a specific type and a tail...like a list.

Maybe my use of "indexed" isn't correct.

So it seems to me, that writer monad is dependent on the monoid append (of lists usually?)....and my "special" monad would be dependent on a "special" monoid append of basically

(these are types)

 (a,b) ++ (c,d) = (a,b,c,d)
 (a,b,c,d) ++ (e) = (a,b,c,d,e)

Which are encoded as nested 2 tuples (with an End marker)

(a,(b,End) ++ (c,(d,End)) = (a,(b, (c,(d,End)))
?

That sort of implies some sort of type family trickery...which isnt toooo bad (I've dabbled).

Looks like an ixmonad to me....In my pigoeon Haskell I could probably wrestle with some code for a few days....but does such a thing already exist?...I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just mess about with it, and turn it into a cog (and then fail to map it back to my OO world).