[Haskell-cafe] time and TimeLocale compatibility

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 09:03:49 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The `formatTime` function from time-1.4 uses the TimeLocale type from
old-locale, whereas time-1.5 provides its own definition of the TimeLocale
type.  I want to provide `formatTime` with the argument `defaultTimeLocale`.
1.4 requires the version in old-locale whereas 1.5 requires the version it
defines itself.

Is it possible to use this function in a way that is compatible with both
1.4 and 1.5?  If time-1.5 had merely reexported the old-locale version, and
then (the future) time-1.6 replaced it completely this would have offered a
smoother upgrade path, but as far as I can tell nothing like this was done.

What are my options?

Tom