[Haskell-cafe] Whole program analysis as a GHC plugin

Christiaan Baaij christiaan.baaij at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:47:08 UTC 2015

forgot to cc the list in an earlier email...

Hi David,

Not all identifier have an unfolding in the .hi files… you’d have to recompile all shipped libraries with: -fexpose-all-unfoldings.
Even then, identifiers that evaluate to bottom will, annoyingly, still not get an unfolding in the .hi files.
Many identifiers do, however, have an unfolding!

With that out of the way, I’ve created a whole-program transformation compiler that converts “structural” Haskell to Hardware (VHDL/Verilog).
You can take a look at: https://github.com/clash-lang/clash-compiler/tree/master/clash-ghc/src-ghc/CLaSH/GHC <https://github.com/clash-lang/clash-compiler/tree/master/clash-ghc/src-ghc/CLaSH/GHC>
for all the modules that interact with the GHC API.
Especially look at: https://github.com/clash-lang/clash-compiler/blob/master/clash-ghc/src-ghc/CLaSH/GHC/LoadModules.hs#L56 <https://github.com/clash-lang/clash-compiler/blob/master/clash-ghc/src-ghc/CLaSH/GHC/LoadModules.hs#L56>
Which, given a module name “A", gives you all binders from the module “A", and all the binders from other modules that are needed by the binders in “A”
It uses: https://github.com/clash-lang/clash-compiler/blob/master/clash-ghc/src-ghc/CLaSH/GHC/LoadInterfaceFiles.hs#L59 <https://github.com/clash-lang/clash-compiler/blob/master/clash-ghc/src-ghc/CLaSH/GHC/LoadInterfaceFiles.hs#L59>
to load the unfoldings from “.hi” files.

The code is pretty much hacked together as I was exploring the GHC API to get the things I wanted.
So my apologies for the poor readability.

Cheers,

Christiaan