[Haskell-cafe] Deriving Show for non-regular data types

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 03:25:18 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,

This combination seems to work:

instance (Show a, Show1 d) => Show (d a) where
    showsPrec = showsPrec1

deriving instance (Show (d a), Show1 d)
  => Show (SimpleCatDeque d a)

But it needs overlapping instances. I don't see another way to express

 (Show (d a), Show (d (d a)), Show (d (d (d a))), ... )

in a way that ghc will lazily evaluate the ...

Regards,
Adam