[Haskell-cafe] Hackage and Free Software

fr33domlover fr33domlover at riseup.net
Mon Mar 2 21:36:39 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-28
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> There are open source projects that are systematically excising GPL'ed
> software because of the problems it shares with ShareAlike licenses. Should
> we disallow the GPL because some people have problems with it?
>
> Making Hackage better to help users sort out which licenses they are
> willing to accept in their project - which I personally would like to do on
> a project-by-project basis! - is a solution to these problems. Restricting
> the licenses that are acceptable on Hackage to meet some arbitrary set of
> criteria is a knee-jerk.

The restrictions aren't arbitrary at all. They're based on ethics. On Software
freedom. But sure, a package with invalid license tagging should instantly
become unavailable.

Here's a suggestion: We can talk about this forever, because there seem to be
no official guidelines to really discuss. Why don't we put clear guidelines at
hackage.haskell.org ? If these guidelines would be "proprietary software
allowed", then there's a point to discuss. But if the guideline requires
certain tagging - currently all the license tags except all-rights-reserved are
free software licenses - maybe the problem is already solved.

Who maintains the community hackage instance and the guidelines? Just to
make sure these people are aware of this discussion.

---
fr33domlover         <http://www.rel4tion.org/people/fr33domlover>
GPG key ID:          63E5E57D (size: 4096)
GPG key fingerprint: 6FEE C222 7323 EF85 A49D  5487 5252 C5C8 63E5 E57D