[Haskell-cafe] Hackage and Free Software

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 05:17:17 UTC 2015

For the record, the current behaviour is as follows.

A package with AllRightsReserved as a license or a missing license is now rejected by “cabal check” with the following:

==
* The 'license' field is missing or specified as AllRightsReserved.

Hackage would reject this package.
==

A package with an unknown license such as “Foo” is rejected with the following:

==
* 'license: Foo' is not a recognised license. The known licenses are: GPL,
GPL-2, GPL-3, LGPL, LGPL-2.1, LGPL-3, AGPL, AGPL-3, BSD2, BSD3, MIT, MPL-2.0,
Apache, Apache-2.0, PublicDomain, AllRightsReserved, OtherLicense

Hackage would reject this package.
==

However, a package with OtherLicense is indeed accepted.

It would be good to specify that we ask that OtherLicense indeed be another recognized open-source license. That said, I do not feel strongly about how much care we take to enforce this. We should definitely better document this and other elements of hackage policy, and I know discussions about that have in fact been underway.

I agree that being able to filter Hackage packages on license and other considerations (say, build reports on various systems) would be a great feature. Some such improvements have been floated as GSoC projects. I would encourage those that feel strongly about such features to consider getting involved with development of the hackage server.

Cheers,
Gershom