[Haskell-cafe] Promoting associated data types

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 25 12:31:15 UTC 2015

Hi Косырев,

Promoting type/data families isn't a matter of safety, exactly, but a matter of drastically altering the internal type system of GHC to support such things. Happily, my research is all about doing so. You can expect your first example `class C1 a (b :: D I)` to work in GHC 7.12. If you're overly interested, my work is happening at github.com/goldfirere/ghc on the `nokinds` branch. But there won't be much (any?) action there for a little while as I'm working on anther project for the next few weeks.

Your second example, though, is ill-formed: you can't have a type variable of kind `D`, as `D`, by itself, isn't a kind. You could say this, if you wanted, though:

> class C1 a (b :: D a)

Do you have an use case for this? I'm always curious to see how Haskellers want to use these advanced features!

Thanks,
Richard