[Haskell-cafe] Generalizing a library

Geraldus heraldhoi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 08:30:01 UTC 2015

Hi Cafe!

I've written very first version of GHCJS port
<https://github.com/geraldus/ghcjs-perch> of Perch
<https://github.com/agocorona/haste-perch> library originally designed to
work with Haste compiler.  Most of work is already done, though some
polishing is needed.  In essence Haste and GHCJS versions are very similar,
the major difference is how foreign functions are defined, and in fact
Perch is built using just a few low-level primitives
<https://github.com/geraldus/ghcjs-perch/blob/master/src/Internal/FFI.hs>.

So, as these libraries are very similar I want to generalize Perch to make
it independent of compiler somehow.

My initial idea was to have a Perch library and several compiler specific
back-ends which user should select depending on his toolchain, but my
Haskell skills are still very poor to find a proper way to do this.  Can
someone point me in right direction or at least give some advices?

Very appreciate any help!