[Haskell-cafe] Native -XCPP Conclusion (was: RFC: "Native -XCPP" Proposal)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Jun 18 08:32:05 UTC 2015

Hello *,

Following up on the "Native -XCPP" Proposal discussion, it appears that
cpphs' current LGPL+SLE licensing doesn't pose an *objective*
showstopper problem but is rather more of an inconvenience as it causes
argumentation/discussion overhead (which then /may/ actually result in
Haskell being turned down eventually over alternatives that do without
LGPL components).

In order to acknowledge this discomfort, for GHC 7.12 we propose to follow
"plan 4" according to [1] (i.e. calling out to a cpphs-executable as a
separate process), thereby avoiding pulling any LGPL-subjected cpphs
code into produced executables when linking against the 'ghc' package.

"Plan 2" (i.e. embedding/linking cpphs' code directly into ghc) would
reduce fork/exec overhead, which can be substantial on Windows [2],
but plan 4 is no worse than what we have now.

Last Call: Are there any objections with GHC adopting "plan 4"[1]?

 [1]: <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Proposal/NativeCpp>

 [2]: <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.ghc.devel/8869>

Thanks,
  HVR

--
"Elegance is not optional" -- Richard O'Keefe