[Haskell-cafe] parsec or attoparsec for 40-50MB text files ?

briand at aracnet.com briand at aracnet.com
Tue Jun 9 03:22:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 04:28:31 -0400
Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:

> On 06/08/2015 04:28 AM, João Cristóvão wrote:
>  > You may want to try:
>  > https://hackage.haskell.org/package/attoparsec-parsec
>  >
> There is also Edward Kmett's `parsers` library [1], which supports
> `parsec`, `attoparsec`, as well as his own `trifecta` library behind the
> same interface.

good grief, the problem with haskell parsers is that there are so many to choose from !

i'm going to start with attoparsec.  one reason is that I really want to use the lazy interface just to see if i can and how it works.

Also as Chris said,  once i learn attoparsec I can learn the others, e.g. parsec, without too much trouble.

error trapping is not too critical (although i am going to need a line number).  the other slight complication is maintaining some sort of parse state- but i'll deal with that when i get to it which probably won't be for a while...

Thanks very much for all the suggestions !

Brian