[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Shorter Import Syntax

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 22:21:31 UTC 2015

> I'll repeat myself:

... and so do I:

1) The proposed extension will live behind a pragma

That's exactly what I'm asking for: A new {-# LANGUAGE FunkyImports #-}
pragma (name to be decided ;-), which must be mentioned in a cabal file's
"extension:" field (
https://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/developing-packages.html#creating-a-package).
Failing to mention a language extension is just as wrong as declaring wrong
bounds.

> 2) cabal does not take language extensions into account when computing
> a build plan

If that's actually the case (can some Cabal devs clarify this?), than it's
a Cabal bug, otherwise the "extension:" field would be meaningless and
build plans would be fragile. Anyway, this has nothing to do per se with
the proposal.

> The only way to give cabal a clue about a used extension is to put a
> lower bound on base, but you specifically rejected that as ridiculous.

That would in fact be ridiculous, just as saying "every release with a
prime major version number implies the new language extension.". One could
perfectly implement any base version without implementing the proposal.