[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Shorter Import Syntax

Anthony Cowley acowley at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 4 22:45:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Anthony Cowley <acowley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If I require base >= 7.9, does that get thrown out to work with GHC 7.4?
>> How does that work?
>

> So... to declare that I am using a new language construct, I place a bound
> on base.
>
> I'm sure this makes sense to someone, somewhere....

Let's please step back,

1) I said we'd need a LANGUAGE pragma in response to hvr
2) A question was asked about enabling it by default
3) hvr said this would need a way of letting cabal know not to build it
4) I said it could be signaled with a bound on base
5) You said this assumed everyone had the latest GHC

Your response was a non sequitur. As it happens, if you have code that
hits a bug in GHC, then a pretty effective way of ensuring that
cabal-install doesn't try to build it with an older GHC is to put a
lower bound on base. I'm sorry if that is offensive.

Anthony