[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Shorter Import Syntax

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Jun 4 21:22:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-04 at 23:05:42 +0200, Alexey Shmalko wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the initial proposal was to enable the new
> syntax by default and it mustn't break any code (full
> backward-compatible).

That would be a departure from how language extensions were handled in
GHC in the past afaik, and if there's no language pragma to toggle this
new syntax, Cabal has no way to know that a new language syntax is
required and that thereby needs exclude (not implemented yet) the
affected package versions from the install-plan configuration space.

Cheers,
  hvr