[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Shorter Import Syntax

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Jun 4 20:46:26 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-04 at 22:23:26 +0200, Bardur Arantsson wrote:

[...]

>> Preserving the "qualified" keyword is better than no change at all,
>> but is, I think, gratuitous preservation of a minor wart. Given the
>> support for the original proposal, I'd hate to snatch defeat from the
>> jaws of victory here.
>>

> (I thought I'd posted this earlier, but I guess not from my news
> reader's idea of concensus reality as decided by GMANE.org.)
>
> +1 to whatever syntax is decided upon as long as it doesn't break too
> much existing code (i.e. published/Hackage code). Down with bikeshedding
> for its own sake! :)
> [..]

Clearly, this new syntax won't be available by default when only

  {-# LANGUAGE Haskell2010 #-}

is active. So I assume this is going to be a new language extension
enabled by a new to-be-named LANGUAGE-pragma (and if it stands the test
of time, be enabled by default in, say {-# LANGUAGE Haskell2020 #-})? If
so, why is it a concern if there's code breakage, as this new syntax
will be an explicit opt-in?

Cheers,
  hvr