[Haskell-cafe] Consecutive FFI calls

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Tue Jun 2 13:26:06 UTC 2015

Hi Takenobu,

My question is more about consecutive FFI calls on the same Haskell
thread, of which there are I suppose 8 cases in your model: the thread
is {unbound,bound}, the first call is {safe,unsafe} and the second is
{safe,unsafe}. If the thread is bound, there's no problem as the two
calls happen on the same OS thread. No memory barriers are needed. If
the thread is unbound, the two calls may occur on distinct OS threads.
Although the first call must have returned before the second is made,
it doesn't immediately follow that there has been a memory barrier in
between. I'm not sure it matters whether either call is safe or
unsafe. As a Haskell thread can migrate to a different OS thread at
any point, I don't think it's possible to put appropriate memory
barriers in the source.

I've been looking at the GHC source and commentary and believe the
answer is 'yes', but can anyone from ghc-dev comment on the following?

If a Haskell thread moves to a different OS thread then
yieldCapability() will at some point be called. This function normally
calls ACQUIRE_LOCK, which is either pthread_mutex_lock() or
EnterCriticalSection() in the threaded runtime (on Linux and Win32
respectively). It looks like both of these count as full memory
barriers. I think in the (rare) case where yieldCapability() only does
a GC and then exits, the fact that it's always called in a loop means
that eventually *some* Task or other emits a memory barrier.

Thanks in advance,

David