[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Haskell Platform 7.10.2

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:55:37 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 3:14 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no>
wrote:

> I notice that the OS X version is still installing binaries in /usr/bin.
> If I have understood correctly, in the upcoming OS X 10.11 /usr/bin and
> various other directories will be locked down hard, and no third party
> software will be allowed there.
> So perhaps the installer should be changed to install the binaries
> elsewhere, such as /usr/local/bin?

Mostly correct. I would argue against /usr/local though because Homebrew
uses it and I'd want to avoid possible collisions, especially if someone
were to e.g. install git-annex or pandoc via HB without realizing they're
written in Haskell. (Yes, this happens!)

Many third party packages already use /opt, e.g. /opt/haskell or
/opt/haskell-platform. (See for example XQuartz or calibre.)