[Haskell-cafe] STM Finalizers

Michael Schröder mc.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:18:22 UTC 2015

Hi David, I appreciate your interest in my thesis!

A finalizer which has non-atomic real-world effects needs to be quite
> careful about undoing those effects when exceptions are thrown. [...] If
> some of those B.hPut calls succeed but then one fails (e.g. the disk is
> full) then the transaction will be rolled back, but the on-disk state will
> be left partially written.

Yes, you are absolutely right! The example application lacks some of the
safeguards one would expect in a production-ready system. It was intended
to be more of a demonstration of how easily one can in principle build a
database-like system on top of STM using finalizers. It still requires some
engineering effort to make it entirely safe and practical. I should have
documented this better—or just gone the extra mile and actually made it
safe!

> Even if the finalizer did include exception handling to deal with this
> situation, what happens with asynchronous exceptions? Does the finalizer
> run with async exceptions masked?

The finalizer does not run with async exceptions masked and you're right
that one needs to be careful about how to deal with side-effects & async
exceptions & cleanup within the finalizer—just like with any kind of I/O,
really. In the TX example code, serialize should probably use withMVarMasked
instead of withMVar. But I don't think the finalizer should run with async
exceptions masked by default. There are uses cases where you really do want
the finalizer to be interruptible from another thread, e.g. if you want to
be able to timeout the whole transaction (STM part + finalizer part,
as in: timeout
n $ atomicallyWithIO ...)