[Haskell-cafe] First call to putStr takes far more time than subsequent calls

Jonas Scholl anselm.scholl at tu-harburg.de
Fri Jul 10 07:17:24 UTC 2015

If you look at the Fixed data type, it is implemented using the Integer
type, which is again implemented using libgmp on my system. The first
call to any function involving an Integer type thus needs to initialize
libgmp first. Using ltrace it seems like libgmp first has to determine
the processor it is running on and maybe set up other bookkeeping
information.

It could also be the case that libgmp itself has to be loaded at this
point. Using strace it looks like it is mmapped into the memory, maybe
linux is lazy and only reads the file on the disk at the moment it is
accessed the first time (i.e. at the first call)? At least linux uses a
similar approach for requested memory by a program.