[Haskell-cafe] Strange "ambiguity" problems thanks to GADTs

wren romano winterkoninkje at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:05:59 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 3:35 AM, Simon Peyton Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> If you post a repro case someone (even me) might help. The devil is always in the details.

The smallest repro I can come up with (which is still related to the
actual problem) is as follows. In case it matters for the solution,
there are a number of important bits I've erased. Most importantly,
the inferType function is actually mutually recursive with a checkType
function, though that doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem.

{-# LANGUAGE DataKinds, PolyKinds, GADTs #-}

data Type = Fun Type Type

data Sing :: Type -> * where
    SFun :: Sing i -> Sing j -> Sing (Fun i j)

data AST :: (Type -> *) -> Type -> * where
    App :: ast (Fun a b) -> ast a -> AST ast b

class ABT (abt :: Type -> *) where
    view   :: abt a -> AST abt a
    unview :: AST abt a -> abt a

class WellTypedABT (abt :: Type -> *) where
    unviewWT :: Sing a -> AST abt a -> abt a
    typeOf   :: abt a -> Sing a

data TypeCheckMonad a = TCM { unTCM :: a }

instance Functor TypeCheckMonad where
    fmap f = TCM . f . unTCM

instance Applicative TypeCheckMonad where
    pure = TCM
    TCM f <*> TCM x = TCM (f x)

instance Monad TypeCheckMonad where
    return      = pure