[Haskell-cafe] Bibliographic references on advantages of functional languages for refactoring

Simon Thompson s.j.thompson at kent.ac.uk
Wed Jul 1 21:52:42 UTC 2015

There’s also a discussion about it in this overview paper

  Refactoring tools for functional languages, Journal of Functional Programming / Volume 23 / Issue 03 / May 2013

  http://journals.cambridge.org/repo_A90unxgK <http://journals.cambridge.org/repo_A90unxgK>

Regards

Simon

> On 1 Jul 2015, at 17:34, Alan & Kim Zimmerman <alan.zimm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Try http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/refactor-fp/ <http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/refactor-fp/>
>
> Alan
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Nicola Gigante <nicola.gigante at gmail.com <mailto:nicola.gigante at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > Il giorno 23/giu/2015, alle ore 18:11, Nicola Gigante <nicola.gigante at gmail.com <mailto:nicola.gigante at gmail.com>> ha scritto:
> >

> Ping, anyone?
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I’m writing my master thesis, which is not itself about functional programming but
> > I use Haskell as the language chosen for the implementation of whatever I’m
> > talking about.
> >
> > To motivate the choice more than “I like the language” I’m arguing that
> > since I’m implementing experimental stuff and I’ll need to change the code
> > and refactor very often, a strongly typed language is what I need.
> >
> > I wrote this sentence:
> > "Strongly-typed programming eases the refactoring process by leveraging
> > the compiler to spot wrong transformations before they turn into runtime bugs”
> >
> > Since this thesis is not itself about functional programming this sentence needs
> > to be backed by something. In other words I need to cite some published paper
> > where this is said/surveyed/proved/whatever.
> >
> > So the question: can you help me find referentiable published work relative to
> > how strongly-typed functional programming eases refactoring?
> > A survey or some case-study report or some functional pearl, dunno.
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance,
> >
> > Nicola

Simon Thompson | Professor of Logic and Computation
School of Computing | University of Kent | Canterbury, CT2 7NF, UK
s.j.thompson at kent.ac.uk | M +44 7986 085754 | W www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~sjt