[Haskell-cafe] Representation of lenses

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Tue Jan 27 17:50:44 UTC 2015

For the record, I think the isomorphism uses the Const s functor to
recover the getter and the Identity functor to recover the setter.
It's something like this:

Given (get, set), the corresponding lens is \f x. fmap (flip set x) (f (get x))
Given a lens ell the getter/setter pair is (runConst . ell Const, \v
-> runIdentity . ell (Identity . const v))

Notice that Const s is not an Applicative (e.g. pure :: () -> Const
Void () doesn't exist) which is why (forall f. Applicative f => (s ->
f s) -> a -> f a) proscribes getting your hands on the getter.