[Haskell-cafe] Type synonyms considered harmful?

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:15:03 UTC 2015

I think they have their place.  I use them when it's too much bother
to unwrap a newtype but still nice to have some documentation,
especially if it shows up in many places but I only want to document
in one place.  Or if I think a type error is unlikely, or not a big
deal, compared to the wrap/unwrap hassle.  For documentation it's also
nice to have a name to use in haddock.  Also I tend to use them when
the scope is small.  I agree that if the scope is wide, or if it's a
library, then they can be not worth it.  E.g. I've decided to not use
Data.Graph's 'type Forest a = [Tree a]'.

It's a convenience vs. correctness trade-off, and it's useful to have
something covering the convenience end.  Perhaps you shouldn't put
them in library APIs though.