[Haskell-cafe] Tooling for equational reasoning in Haskell

Christopher Done chrisdone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 10:11:43 UTC 2015

Ah, interesting. That last paper demonstration seems promising. I like that
it lets you state laws like the monad law. I see it's also Core
driven. I'll try it out. I've got a type I want to prove is Applicative and
Alternative.

Andy, what's your assessment on the difficulty of working with plain
Haskell?

For example, what if you took your HOOD project and used HSE or TH to
annotate a whole source tree from expressions to patterns (with view
patterns)? One thing I pondered was, e.g. if you have this program:

\x -> x
01234678 -- these are the columns

you could transform it to:

observe "(0,0)-(1,8)"
        (\(observe "(0,1)-(0,2)" -> x) ->
          observe "(0,7)-(0,8)" x)

Which would allow you to map back to the original source. But now instead
of storing just locations, you want rather than just to see what things are
being forced, you want to produce a series of valid source programs. So
maybe you store kind of diff instructions, like this:
http://lpaste.net/114511 You get something like:

orig_ex = (\x -> (\y -> x * y)) 5 7

translated_ex =
  seq (push (Reset "(\\x -> (\\y -> x * y)) 5 7")
            ((\x ->
                (push (Set 0 25 ("(\\y -> " ++ show x ++ " * y)"))
                      (\y ->
                         push (Set 0 13 (show x ++ " * " ++ show y))
                              (x * y)))) 5 7))
      stack

λ> readIORef translated_ex >>= mapM_ putStrLn . interpret
(\x -> (\y -> x * y)) 5 7
5 * 7

I think the problem I encountered was that I'd need alpha conversion, which
would need something like haskell-names to resolve names. A little more
involved as a project to pursue. There's probably some fatal flaw that
means it's a terrible idea.

Presumably you've already considered things like this in your research.

Ciao