[Haskell-cafe] FLTK bindings near completion. Need community assistance ...

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 18:39:40 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I've been working on bindings [1] to the FLTK GUI toolkit [2] and I've come
to the point where it's mostly complete but I could use some help from the
community before I put it up on Hackage.

My hope is to eventually fill the need in the Haskell ecosystem for a
native GUI library that:
- runs on all platforms
- is easily installable
- is small and fast
- has a minimum of dependencies. Currently this library uses only base,
stm, bytestring and c2hs.
- is conservative with extensions. Currently the most recent extension
required is GADTs.

If any of this sounds good to you, I could use some help with:
- testing the build on Linux and OSX. This should be as simple as
installing FLTK, cloning the repo [1] and running `cabal build`. Better
instructions are in included README.
- getting it to build on Windows. I unfortunately don't have access to a
Windows machine.
- getting it to build on older GHC's. I used 7.8.3 because that is what I
have, but it should work back to the first version of GHC that introduced
GADTs. Unfortunately the included `Setup.hs` is non-trivial and I been
having trouble getting it work with versions of Cabal older than 1.20 due
to breaking API changes across versions.
- building a single library. Currently the C/C++ wrappers and Haskell
bindings are two separate statically linked libraries. They are copied to
the same location so applications built with this package don't have to
know that, but it would be ideal if it was all-in-one.
- building a shared library on Mac OSX.

Any other feedback you have is totally welcome.

Thanks!
-deech

[1] https://github.com/deech/fltkhs
[2] http://www.fltk.org/index.php