[Haskell-cafe] Concurrency problems with mysql bindings?

Elliot Cameron elliot.cameron at covenanteyes.com
Mon Jan 5 21:11:32 UTC 2015

Hello Fellow Haskellers,

I am not experienced with the FFI, but I have suspicions that Haskell's "mysql" package falls short in terms of its support for concurrency. A tiny bit of discussion has occurred here: https://github.com/bos/mysql/issues/11

Since it appears that "mysql" is the de-facto binding for MySQL (see reverse dependencies at http://www.stackage.org/package/mysql ), it seems that this lack has far-reaching effects on the Haskell ecosystem at large. What attracts many to Haskell is it's strengths in writing parallel /concurrent code, but it seems we lose this benefit when interacting with MySQL. I for one have a beautiful Haskell program using MySQL which I would love to push into production, but it's performance pales in comparison to a Python script that builds up calls to bash and actually achieves concurrency.

At this point I have not been able to gain traction for this problem, and since I'm not an experienced Haskell developer, my contributions are slow and tedious. I'm hoping that I can garner some help in the following:

1) Confirm or deny my suspicions as represented in the issue linked above
2) If they are confirmed to any degree, I hope for some help in working through the solution

Please let me know if you would like to help in either of these ways! Even the smallest comments will be highly valued!

Elliot Cameron
Covenant Eyes Software Developer
elliot.cameron at covenanteyes.com
810-771-8322