[Haskell-cafe] ordNub

Atze van der Ploeg atzeus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 15:31:19 UTC 2015

> (That said, I don't understand why this discussion is relevant at all.
> The fact that the ordering exists doesn't mean that one would want to
> declare the Ord instance, like with complex numbers.)

It's not relevant, it's just an intellectual exercise.

For any set with a equality relation there exists a total order relation on
that set consistent with the equality relation. The question is then
whether there exists a set with a computable equality relation such that
there is no computable total order.

I think the following computable function shows that it is always possible
(it chooses an order during queries):

Maintain a table, initially emtpy

As soon as (a <= b) is requested, see if a and b are already in the
table (using
the computatble equality function) , if so, use their ordering in the table.
If an element is not in the table, add it.

Hence the table gives a consistent total order (it depends on which
ordering queries are requested, but that is not relevant?)