[Haskell-cafe] Hackage and Free Software

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Feb 28 21:29:06 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Francesco Ariis <fa-ml at ariis.it> wrote:

> Those restrictions would be, in my opinion, a good idea. Rejecting
> say CC-SA (CC0 is FSF approved), etc. code means rejecting licences
> with clear and documented problems in them, problems which would
> cause quite a lot of headaches down the road.

I don't have a problem if you want to do that. But by disallowing those
licenses on Hackage, you've taken away *MY* ability to decide if those
problems are problems for my use case.

There are open source projects that are systematically excising GPL'ed
software because of the problems it shares with ShareAlike licenses. Should
we disallow the GPL because some people have problems with it?

Making Hackage better to help users sort out which licenses they are
willing to accept in their project - which I personally would like to do on
a project-by-project basis! - is a solution to these problems. Restricting
the licenses that are acceptable on Hackage to meet some arbitrary set of
criteria is a knee-jerk.