[Haskell-cafe] how can I do this the best

Alex Hammel ahammel87 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:01:39 UTC 2015

Constructors with names like 'Unknown' are a code smell, IMO. I'd just
define the data type like this:

data LogMessage = LogMessage MessageType TimeStamp String

and use `Either String LogMessage` in contexts where parsing can fail:

parseLogEntry :: String -> Either String LogMesage
parseLogEntry str
  | isValid str = Right $ mkLogMessage str
  | otherwise = Left $ "Poorly-formatted log entry: " ++ str

As for implementing mkLogMessage: you already know how to unpack the parts
of a log message with `words` and pattern matching. After that it's just a
matter of type-casting everything correctly and passing it to the
`LogMessage` constructor.