[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Lambdabot 5.0

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 22 19:36:11 UTC 2015

Dear Haskell users,

after a long hiatus, I'm pleased to announce that we have just released
Lambdabot 5.0 on hackage. Lambdabot is an IRC bot that can also be used
offline; it provides tools for querying information about and even for
producing Haskell code. To install it, use the following command:

  cabal install lambdabot-haskell-plugins lambdabot

(cabal install lambdabot *should* work, but instead seems to send
cabal's dependency solver onto a wild goose chase from which it
fails to return.)

* What's new

Lambdabot is now maintained by a team, currently consisting of
James Cook and me. The repository and bugtracker have moved to

  https://github.com/lambdabot/lambdabot

The most significant change compared to lambdabot 4.3 is that lambdabot
has been refactored and split into multiple packages. As a result,
lambdabot has become easier to customize: simply edit the source files
(Main.hs and Modules.hs) in the lambdabot package, and optionally
add your own plugins. Other notable changes include

- The code snippets provided by @src have been updated. (thanks to Artyom)
- Support for IRC server authentication.
- Pinging the IRC server regularly in order to detect one-sided
  disconnects.

There have also been many minor tweaks and bug fixes.

* What's next

There are still a number of open issues on the bugtracker, so
you can expect another release soon.

Have fun with lambdabot,

Bertram and James