[Haskell-cafe] build troubles with ghc binary

briand at aracnet.com briand at aracnet.com
Thu Feb 19 19:29:03 UTC 2015

(i hope this is not a repost - sent it to haskell-cafe-bounces the first
time)

new thread because i have the details i should have provided in the
first place.

development system is centos 6.6 but i suspect something's broken
because...

i built and installed gmp-4.3.2 only to find that it's being build as a
32-bit library and will only build as 32-bits. which is really weird,
because 64-bit system:
2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 01:55:02 UTC 2014 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

however- no problem- i'll simply download the 32-bit version of the ghc
binary, which was built on centos no less, and install that instead of
the 64-bit version.

so i do that, point configure at my gmp thusly

./configure --prefix=/home/denheyer/local
--with-gmp-includes=/home/denheyer/local/include
--with-gmp-libraries=/home/denheyer/local/lib

and get this

checking for path to top of build tree...
utils/ghc-pwd/dist-install/build/tmp/ghc-pwd: error while loading shared
libraries: libgmp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
configure: error: cannot determine current directory

ok- i haven't seen it do that before, but it's probably because i'm
pointing it away from it's internal libgmp.  that's fine, i'll set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I do that and make install starts to work. yay!

and then i get THIS

ghc-cabal: Bad interface file: dist-install/build/GHC/CString.hi
magic number mismatch: old/corrupt interface file? (wanted 33214052, got
129742)

somebody really hates me.  so originally i had downloaded the xz file,
and even though i figure it's pretty much impossible that the archive
was actually corrupted, i decide to download the bzip version just in
case.  yeah- not surprisingly, the build still breaks.

any ideas ??

Thanks,
Brian