[Haskell-cafe] Very large data structures in the heap

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Tue Feb 17 12:14:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Dr. Olaf Klinke <
o.klinke at dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> I'd like to separate serialization (IO) from traversal of the stucture
> (pure), but how can one avoid the entire heap object from being built? Can
> lazyness be exploited?

Something I didn't quite understand from your email is whether

1. the data structure is being constructed and you'd like it simultaneously
serialized to disk

or

2. it's already serialized and you'd like to perform pure traversals on it.

Problem 1 is one of compute then write, problem 2 is one of read then
compute.

Lazy I/O, as in unsafeInterleaveIO, excels at 2.

-- Kim-Ee