[Haskell-cafe] Building with some dependencies pre-installed in a sandbox

Jakub Arnold darthdeus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 02:33:27 UTC 2015

Hey guys, sorry for re-posting, but I feel that my original question is
largely different from this one.

I've managed to get my broken dependency to build (the mysql package), but
unfortunately I had to manually change its source code to make this happen,
(original post
https://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2015-February/118064.html),
but I do have the package installed locally (or in the sandbox of my app).

The problem is that when I try to `cabal install` the whole application, it
will re-download the `mysql` package from Hackage and try to build it
again, instead of using the version I custom built and installed myself. Is
it normal that cabal won't re-use the already existing packages, or did I
somehow change it so that it won't recognize it?

Also, is it possible to explicitly say where should cabal resolve some of
its dependencies? Such as this case when one package is in a local path,
and other should be built from hackage. I'm not really sure what the best
approach is here.

again sorry for posting twice in a row, but I just can't seem to find this
information anywhere in the docs

Thanks!