[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: bash script for haskell

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Feb 6 01:01:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM, James Crayne <jim.crayne at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note the hk script gives you a richer default environment, including
> System.Environment and a bunch of other commonly used modules.

Been there, done that :-). My eddie program "cabal install eddie" is
specifically designed for using haskell in shell scripts, so has a slew of
options for pre & post-processing the input and handling files as arguments.

It got some traction for windows users, but not on systems that have the
unix tools set. The unix tools already cover most common use cases, with
languages designed for it. On those systems, it's more popular for testing
expressions before putting them in a program. Looks like hk will be better
for that.

Not that I am especially proud, the implementation could be cleaned up a
> lot I am sure, but the user interface is failry nice I think.

Ditto for eddie.  My first real program, now four years old. it's
desperately in need of a rewrite, but I've failed to find time for it for a
year or so now.