[Haskell-cafe] Formatting strict Text

fr33domlover fr33domlover at riseup.net
Wed Dec 23 22:13:34 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have code which uses Text.Printf.printf with String. Now I'm moving the code
to use strict Text everywhere (I picked strict since all my strings are very
short, mostly less than 400 chars). What should I use instead of printf now?

One solution I found is the text-format package, which seems to simply split a
Text on occurences of "{}" and insert values there. Are there other simple and
efficient options? All I need is to append Text values and sometimes Ints too,
so it's enough to have

(1) efficient append and concat
(2) A function that is :: Int -> Text

Why is strict Text not a Monoid instance? And Builder has no `toStrictText`
function? There is a function to convert Int to Builder and a Buildable
instance for Int, but for a simple Int->Text it seems I'm left with an ugly
`T.pack . show`.

Suggestions / advice / comments on this?

Thanks in advance :)

fr33