[Haskell-cafe] Discussion: The CLOEXEC problem

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 13:19:13 UTC 2015

The directory is irrelevant.  fork() + exec() is not an atomic operation:

* Thread 1 writes its file completely (opens and closes an Fd 1, using
O_CLOEXEC)
* Thread 2 starts writing its file (Fd 2 open for writing, using O_CLOEXEC)
* Thread 1 starts executing "myBinary" by calling *fork()*. Fd 2 is
inherited by the child process
* Thread 2 finishes writing (closes its Fd 2)
* Thread 2 executes "myBinary", which fails with `Text file busy`
because an Fd is still open to it in the child of Process 1
* Thread 1 executes "myBinary" (calling exec()). Fd 2 is automatically
closed during exec(), but it's too late.

You need the file descriptor to not be inherited by a child process, which
is != from O_CLOEXEC.

Alexander